If you have your sights on working at a cannabis dispensary in the City of Angels, check out our guide on how to get dispensary jobs in Los Angeles. As the hub of cannabis in the Golden State, Los Angeles’ cannabis industry is thriving. Our guide shows you what you need to stand out from the pool of applicants to land the job.
Los Angeles Dispensary Jobs
LA is full of fun and exciting entry-level cannabis jobs for those interested in working in the industry. Whether you want to work in a medical or recreational dispensary, there's bound to be a job for you. Here are some of the most common cannabis jobs available in LA.
Budtenders are the friendly and outgoing salespeople who help medical patients and recreational customers find the right strain and product. Educating the customer is paramount in this job.
Average salary: About $12/hour
A clean driving record and a valid driver's license is all you need to excel in this entry-level job. As a delivery driver, you must deliver purchases in a timely and efficient manner. It's up to you to check customer ID and verify their identity to remain state compliant.
Average salary: About $16/hour
A receptionist is the first impression customers get of a dispensary. You must be friendly, warm, and good with computers. Apart from answering phones and checking in guests, you must perform a host of administrative tasks.
Average salary: About $15/hour
Securing a cannabis business is critical and a required component of any operation. As a security officer, you'll be assessing for threats on video surveillance and in person. Your main function is to ensure all the people and inventory remain safe and protected.
Average salary: About $16/hour
Run a shop’s day-to-day operations while consistently meeting sales goals and hiring and training new staff. It's all in a day's work when you're a dispensary manager in LA. Any of the entry-level cannabis jobs listed above are excellent starting points to reach this position.
Average salary: 62k/year
Minimum Age Requirement
If you want to work in a dispensary in Los Angeles, you must be over the age of 21 to apply. Anyone under this age legally can't work in any cannabis business in the state. Even if you have a medical card and are between the ages of 18 and 20, you can't work in a dispensary.
What Are The Legal Requirements to Work in a Los Angeles Dispensary?
If you plan to work in a dispensary in Los Angeles or the entire state of California, there aren't many legal requirements you must meet. As long as you are over the minimum age requirement, you are free to work at a dispensary. However, some dispensaries require background checks. In addition, some advanced jobs require some training.
Los Angeles Dispensary Job Qualifications
As long as you have relevant skills to the job you are applying for, you have a good chance of getting hired. In LA, dispensary managers look for applicants that meet certain criteria. Here are some of the most common job qualifications needed for entry-level cannabis work:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 1 year of related experience
- Knowledge about cannabis and cannabis products (preferred)
- Able to pass a background check
How to Get a Dispensary Job in Los Angeles
LA is a place full of exciting new cannabis job opportunities. in this highly competitive market, however, you need to be more than qualified for the job. Here's a general step-by-step guide on how you can get hired in the city:
- Do your homework: Make sure you've done your research on the state and local rules governing retail shops. In addition, check to see that the shop you are applying for actually is licensed. California has a huge problem with black market dispensaries. Read up on everything you can about cannabis online and offline.
- Get certification: Regardless of your skill level, cannabis industry certification is an affordable and convenient way to learn all about the industry from working professionals. Online certification gives you the freedom to learn at your own pace and gain experience.
- Develop skills: If you have previous experience working in a retail or customer service job, great! If you don't, working in a non-cannabis related job that’s similar can help you develop the skills that are applicable to your new job.
- Show off your skills: First impressions matter. A thorough resume and cover letter showcase your previous work experience, education, and other skills that make you an ideal candidate for whatever job you're applying for.
- Network: Go out there and pound the pavement. Attend local cannabis events and trade shows. Even at home, you can browse online forums and groups to find like-minded individuals who use cannabis or are employed in local dispensaries.
- Apply: Once you’ve developed your skills and crafted a resume, it's time to apply. Don't be afraid to follow up a week or so after applying. This shows commitment and passion for the industry.
What are the Best Dispensaries in Los Angeles?
LA is a sprawling city full of hundreds of dispensaries. Make sure to research the dispensaries near your area to find one that you'd like to work in. Working in any dispensary gives you the experience needed to excel in the industry.
Here's a short list of some of the most popular dispensaries in LA:
- Bud & Roses (Studio City)
- Deli By Caliva (Bellflower)
- Stiiizy (DTLA)
- Green Goddess Collective (Venice)
- Sherbinskis (Fairfax)
- Cookies (Maywood, Beverly Grove)
- The Higher Path (Sherman Oaks)
- Exhale Med Center (West Hollywood)
- The Pottery (Mid-City)
- City Compassionate Caregivers (DTLA)
- Los Angeles Kush (East LA, Echo Park)
- TLC Collective (Boyle Heights)
- Zen Healing (West Hollywood)
- Herbarium (Hollywood)
- CAC Venice (Venice)
- Greenwolf LA (Los Feliz)
- The Farmacy (Westwood)
- The High Note (Culver City, East LA)
- New Amsterdam Naturals (Culver City)
Los Angeles Dispensary Training
Ready to start your career in the City of Angels?
Enroll in Cannabis Training University’s online cannabis college to learn how the industry operates. Our cannabis curriculum takes you through every major segment of the industry including cannabis cultivation, marijuana extraction, cannabis retail, and more. Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned user, our cannabis training gives you the tools you need to get ahead.