TABLE OF CONTENTS
Stop spending money on expensive, premade CBD edibles from dispensaries and make your own at home. We show you how to make CBD butter as a base ingredient for many foods and give you a couple of CBD edibles recipes to try at home.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is the second most common cannabinoid in cannabis plants, right after delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Most cannabis plants contain about 1% CBD, but hemp plants have been bred to have much higher CBD concentrations (15-25% CBD).
CBD edibles are a convenient and discreet alternative to intoxicating THC edibles. You won’t feel any high but will still reap most of the health benefits of THC. Edibles provide long-lasting relief compared to other consumption methods.
CBD edibles can take effect 60-90 minutes after consumption. The effects can last 6-8 hours. After the effects have diminished, CBD can remain in the body from a few hours to a month after consumption, depending on the frequency and amount consumed.
CBD-infused edibles can be made from cannabis/hemp flower, extracts, tinctures, and CBD oils. You can use purchased CBD oil or make your own CBD oil. These starting ingredients can vary in CBD concentrations, terpenes, and other ingredients. How much CBD oil or flower you add depends on your CBD tolerance. in
Making CBD edibles start with infusing oil or butter with CBD isolate, raw flower, or other CBD products. Hemp flowers or extracts can be infused into a wide range of oils, including coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, ghee (unsalted, clarified butter), and more.
Popular ingredients to make your own CBD edibles include cocoa powder, baking powder, and vanilla extract to make CBD brownies, powdered gelatin dessert, and fruit juice or other flavorings for CBD gummies,
Cannabis butter is a versatile ingredient used to make a wide range of cannabis infusions. While most recipes use traditional cannabis flower with high THC levels, this one will use CBD flower which must legally contain less than 0.3% THC, not enough to get you high.
- One cup of unsalted, clarified butter (ghee)
- One cup of ground hemp flower or trim
- Medium saucepan
- Oven mitt
- Baking dish and see-through cover
- Oven thermometer
- Cannabis grinder
- Silicone spatula
- Heatproof container or bowl
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- Grind the hemp flower into pea-sized pieces and spread evenly in the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 212º F.
- Place the oven thermometer on top of the hemp flower and cover the baking dish with the transparent cover.
- Put the baking dish into the oven and check every 10 minutes to determine when the oven thermometer reaches 212º F.
- At 212º F, heat the flower for 1 hour and 20 minutes to activate the cannabinoids. Regularly check the temperature to ensure it remains at 212º F.
- After heating the flower, turn the oven off and use an oven mitt to remove the baking dish.
- Let it cool for about 30 minutes before removing the cover.
- Boil a quart of water in a medium saucepan. When the water starts to boil, add the butter to melt.
- When the butter has melted, add the hemp flower and reduce to a low simmer. Let it cook for 3 hours.
- When it’s done cooking, slowly strain the oil using a few layers of cheesecloth or strainer into the heat proof container. Use a silicone spatula to gently fold the plant material and remove all the oil.
- When you have strained the oil completely, cover it and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Put the butter in its container in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, use a butter knife to remove the butter and dispose of the residual water. Use paper towels to pat the butter dry.
- Cover the CBD butter and store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
How to Make CBD Edibles at Home
How to Make CBD Gummies
Cannabis-infused gummies are a convenient, discreet, and potent alternative to smoking or vaping weed. You can easily make your own CBD gummies from the comfort of your home using the following ingredients and instructions.
- 2-3 tablespoons of CBD tincture
- ½ cup of hot water
- Packet of powdered gelatin dessert
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone gummy molds
- Cooking spray
- Apply a light coat of cooking spray to the inside of the gummy mold.
- Add the packet of gelatin dessert into the bowl.
- Add a half cup of hot water to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Add CBD tincture to the molds
- Refrigerate the molds for about 1 hour.
- After 1 hour in the refrigerator, take them out, and they are ready to eat.
CBD-infused chocolate chip cookies are a great treat to help you unwind. This recipe makes 60 servings with 1 gram of CBD butter per cookie.
- 2 ¼ cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cups of regular butter
- ¾ cups of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup of infused butter
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat the sugars, butters, and vanilla until the consistency is creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each one.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter evenly onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookie mixture for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are firm.
- Cool the cookies for two minutes, then move them to the wire racks.
How to Store CBD Edibles
Properly stored edibles can last for weeks in the fridge or months in the freezer. Like all cannabis, edibles should be stored in a cool, dry space away from natural or artificial light. Prolonged exposure to heat, air, or light can shorten the shelf life of CBD edibles.
Take your cooking skills to the next level by enrolling in affordable online cannabis training from CTU. Our Master of Cannabis certification program covers stovetop, oven, and crockpot methods to make cannabis butter and cooking oil. Make your own edibles by enrolling today!