TABLE OF CONTENTS
Whether you are craving a homemade edible or need long-lasting relief, you can easily make cannabutter at home to create a wide range of edible infusions. No matter your cooking skills, this cannabutter recipe is super easy to follow.
What Is Cannabutter?
Cannabutter is a marijuana-infused butter that can be used as a supplement or replacement to regular butter in your favorite sweet or savory recipe. Whether you want a non-intoxicating CBD edible or potent THC relief, cannabutter can be the foundation for your cannabis infusion.
What You Need to Make Cannabis-Infused Butter
Cannabutter can be made at home using various procedures, each with different equipment and ingredient requirements. Check out our educational resources to learn how to make vegan cannabutter with coconut oil or use the mason jar method to create cannabutter.
Here, we will be using dried and cured cannabis buds and infusing it into unsalted, clarified butter on the stovetop.
- Cannabis flower
- Baking dish
- Oven thermometer
- Unsalted clarified butter
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Heat-proof bowl or container
- Silicone spatula
- Oven mitt
- Grinder, scissors, knife
Tips on How to Make Cannabutter at Home
While making weed butter is easy, there are a few ways to make this recipe even better. You can experiment to find the best way to make your cannabis butter using our tips and guidelines. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Use High-Quality Cannabis
Using the highest quality cannabis flower will yield you the best results, but you can also make cannabutter with trim, leaves, and stems leftover from your garden. While it may not taste the best for your homemade cannabis edibles, it can provide the relief you need.
Before you infuse cannabis into the unsalted butter, you will need to decarboxylate the cannabis. Decarboxylationrefers to the activation of the acidic cannabinoids such as THCA and CBDA with heat into their parent compounds, THC and CBD, respectively.
Use Unsalted, Clarified Butter
Use unsalted clarified butter (ghee) to make your infused butter. Ghee does not contain milk or water solids. Since it is 100% fat, the fat contents can absorb the cannabinoids better for stronger homemade edibles.
How to Make Cannabutter on a Stovetop
There are various ways to make cannabis butter at home, including an easy crockpot method if you have a slow cooker. Here, we will be using a stovetop method for making cannabutter at home.
Here is a step-by-step procedure on how to make cannabutter on a stovetop.
- Gather your dried cannabis flowers. You may want to remove the seeds and stems. Break up the flower into pea-sized pieces by hand or with a knife, scissors, or grinder.
- Decarboxylate the ground cannabis. Preheat the oven to 212º F and place your prepared cannabis on a baking dish in an even layer. Place an oven thermometer on top of the cannabis to ensure you reach the desired temperature. Cover the baking dish with a transparent cover.
- When the oven thermometer reads 212º F, allow the cannabis to bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check the temperature regularly for fluctuations and adjust as needed.
- After 1 hour and 20 minutes of baking, turn off the oven and gently remove the baking dish with an oven mitt. Allow the dish to cool for 30 minutes before removing the cover.
- The amount of butter you use depends on the amount of decarbed cannabis used. We recommend using eight times the weight of your cannabis material. Measure out the amount of butter needed.
- Determine the milligrams of cannabinoids per gram of butter with this formula:
- Grams of cannabis x cannabinoid percentage x 1000 ÷ grams of butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring a quart of water to boil on the stove. Make sure there are about 2 inches of water to keep the cannabis afloat. Once the water boils, add the butter and allow it to melt.
- When the butter is melted, add the marijuana and turn down the heat to a low simmer. Let the cannabis cook on the stove for about three hours.
- Prepare a heat-proof bowl or container to store your cannabutter. When the mixture is done cooking, strain the mixture with a cheesecloth. Additional filtration may be needed to remove fine cannabis plant matter.
- To strain your material, place 2-4 layers of cheesecloth over the container and secure them with an elastic band or tape.
- Gently pour the mixture into the cheesecloth with a spatula. Fold the cannabis plant material into the cheesecloth. Gently squeeze out the remaining liquid into the container.
- Cover the cannabis butter mixture and allow it to cool to room temperature. Then, put the infused butter in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. Once the potent butter has solidified, you can remove it with a butter knife and dispose of the remaining water. Use paper towels to blot the water from the butter. Cover and store in the refrigerator for later use or use immediately.
Learn the Art of Cannabis Cooking at CTU
Learning to make cannabutter is easy and fun. Cannabis-infused butter can be added to any meal of the day for a smoke-free and potent experience. If you want to learn from industry experts how to cook with cannabis, enroll in Cannabis Training University’s online marijuana college.