TABLE OF CONTENTS
Making THC gummies at home is super easy and fun. Save yourself money and learn how to make THC gummies with cannabutter at home. Choose any flavor and potency to create a microdosable and delicious treat.
What Are THC Gummies?
THC gummies are cannabis-infused candies purchased from a licensed dispensary or made at home. These weed gummies contain a high concentration of the delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) compound, known for its intoxicating, euphoric, and pain-relieving effects.
THC gummies can contain various flavors with different potencies. Generally, most commercially produced THC gummies contain about 10 mg per serving and 100 mg THC in the entire package.
THC gummies can be made with either cannabis flower, trim, or concentrate. If using concentrate, less cannabis material is needed than if using cannabis flower. Cannabis can be infused into an oil (coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, sunflower seed oil, and more) or butter of your choice to create canna gummies.
Benefits of THC Gummies
Weed gummies have several benefits, including the following:
- Long-lasting effects
- Small and portable
- Available in a variety of flavors
- Consistent doses
- Can be sublingually absorbed for faster-acting effects than eating it
What Is Cannabutter?
Cannabutter is a cannabis-infused butter made by decarbing the starting cannabis material and infusing it into butter, preferably clarified unsalted butter (ghee). Ghee contains 100% fat, which helps bind to more cannabinoids compared to traditional butter. Cannabutter can be made using a stovetop, slow cooker, or a specialty infusion device.
How to Make Cannabutter
- Cannabis flower
- Unsalted clarified butter (8 times the weight of the cannabis material)
- Baking dish with a see-through cover
- Oven thermometer
- Medium saucepan
- Silicone spatula
- Heat-proof container
- Oven mitt
- Grinder (optional)
- Break the cannabis flower into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 212º F and put your cannabis bud material in the baking dish in an even layer. Put the oven thermometer on top of the flower and cover the dish.
- Allow the cannabis to decarboxylate for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check the oven thermometer to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Turn the oven off and take out the baking dish, allowing it to cool for about 30 minutes before taking off the cover.
- Boil a quart of water in a medium saucepan. Put the butter in and allow it to melt.
- When the butter is melted, pour the cannabis and reduce to a low simmer. Allow the mixture to cook for about 3 hours.
- Strain the mixture with a cheesecloth over a container. Use a spatula to press the material gently and squeeze out the liquid.
- Cover the mixture and allow it to cool to room temperature. Keep it in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. Remove the cannabutter and dispose of the water. Cover again in a sealed container and leave in the refrigerator for later use.
How to Make THC Gummies with Cannabutter
Cannabis gummies can be made with your favorite butter or oil, including MCT and coconut oil. Here, we will show you how to use your prepared cannabis butter to make your weed gummies.
Yields: 16 servings
- 1 package of flavored Jell-O or an alternative
- 1 ½ cups of juice (choose a flavor that goes well with your Jell-O flavor)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup cannabutter
- 4 packages of unflavored Knox gelatin
- ⅛ teaspoon of cornstarch
Cooking Equipment and Supplies
- Silicone gummy molds
- Cooking pot
- Airtight container
- Small plate
How to Make Cannabis Gummies
- Mix the Jell-O and 1 cup of juice in a medium saucepan on low heat.
- While the ingredients are cooking, add the honey and your cannabutter and increase the heat slightly to a low boil. Make sure to check the mixture to avoid burning it. Reduce the heat if needed.
- While it's heating, mix the four packages of Knox gelatin with ½ cup of juice and allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the gelatin and juice mix to the saucepan and cook the ingredients on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Whisk the ingredients constantly. Ensure the ingredients on the sides and bottom are evenly mixed.
- When complete, pour the ganja gummies mixture into the silicone mold and allow it to cool to room temperature. When it's cool, put it in the refrigerator for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- When you're done, carefully remove the cannabis gummies from the molds onto a small plate. Put them in cornstarch to prevent them from sticking together. Store your weed gummies in a refrigerator.
There you have it! Now you know how to make thc gummies with cannabutter like a pro!
Learn More Cannabis Recipes at CTU
Cannabis Training University is the world's most renowned industry training institute. Since 2009, we've developed a reputation of excellence with the most up-to-date content from the world's best cannabis growers, extractors, chefs, budtenders, doctors, and lawyers. Learn more about cooking with cannabis in our Cannabis Cooking Certificate Program.
Karen gained expertise in developing training programs and technical documentation as a Senior Editor at Cisco Systems. She began her journey in cannabis as a patient, searching for a way to heal herself. When she perfected a method for making cannabis oil, other patients began to seek her out. An early adopter of CBD medicine, she started her CBD-infused-products business in 2014. Over the last two decades, Karen has taught hundreds of patients and caregivers how to select strains, infuse oils, and extract cannabinoids.
When she isn’t teaching cannabis cooking classes, Karen works as a cannabis business consultant, writes for online cannabis publications like Cannabis Training University, Leafly, and Weedmaps, and runs a CBD-infused-product business.