TABLE OF CONTENTS
“Is pot good for dogs?” “Can I use hemp oil for my dog?” “Can you give dogs edibles?” These and many more are the honest concerns of pet owners regarding the issue of “dogs and pot.” But interestingly, even without obvious regulations or professional advice, some pet owners have started exploring the benefits of marijuana dog treats.
In this article, we'll elaborate on what you need to keep in mind when it comes to feeding your pets with cannabis-infused foods, the benefits, and, of course, an excellent homemade medical marijuana recipe for dogs.
Some pet owners have even fed their canine companions with portions from their own stash. And the good news is that positive clinical responses have been obtained, though from very limited research.
This explains why vets have been quite skeptical about giving their full support to the cause. Of course, if marijuana can exert adverse effects on humans, dogs cannot be an exception.
Indeed, there's been a suggestion that dogs have more cannabinoids in the brain than humans. This means that they are more susceptible to adverse effects by THC than people.
CBD oil is a more suitable option for dogs. It is from this cannabis source that we obtain the best hemp products for dogs. If you're interested in learning how to make cannabis oil for your dog, then sit tight and read on.
Homemade Medical Marijuana for Dogs Recipe
CBD oil happens to be an efficient way to get the beautiful benefits for certain symptoms. It is believed that when placed under the tongue, CBD is absorbed faster into the body, unlike when infused or baked into foods, such as edibles.
However, there's no conclusive evidence to support this claim. In dogs, administering CBD directly can quickly help improve symptoms of anxiety, pain, inflammation, and sometimes, cancer-related conditions.
But the challenge is that your dog might not comply, as it may raise its snout, making it difficult for you to administer the oil. So it's sometimes best to drizzle the oil on dog treats, which they can quickly ingest. All right, here's an easy CBD oil recipe for your dog!
- Any oil of your choice, but coconut oil preferably
- CBD flower of your choice
Note that you'll need a stove, a saucepan, a crockpot, a grinder, and an oven to facilitate a seamless cooking process.
- First, you need to bake the cannabis buds for 10 to 15 minutes in an oven at 220 degrees. Ensure that you are using good quality cannabis plants. Bake the buds on low heat to avoid killing the CBD content.
- Use the hand grinder to grind the cooked cannabis until you obtain a fine powder. Mix the powder with the coconut oil and slow cook the mixture in a crockpot for 24 hours. Alternatively, you can let the mixture simmer on low heat, preferably at a temperature of 350°F for up to 8 hours. With the heating, the cannabis powder absorbs as much coconut oil as possible.
- Turn off the heat and use a filter to strain out the oil into a container. Your CBD oil is ready to be served. Since the oil contains no preservatives, it is best to refrigerate it until you need it.
- You'll notice that you'll spend far less preparing this recipe than buying a ready-made CBD oil from the store.
Healthy Alternatives to CBD Oil: CBD Dog Treats
If you prefer to give your dog treats instead, here are some perfect ideas.
#1 Mashed Potatoes and Eggs
- You can mix the CBD coconut oil with mashed potatoes, eggs, and flour. Mix properly and cut out several servings of dog-size treats.
- Put the rolled doughs back into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350°F. The moisture from the oil can make the doughs get soft, so you want to make the cuts smaller, so your rolled dough doesn't fall apart in the oven. You will be able to tell that the baking is done when the doughs turn golden brown.
- You can now serve your canine friends some portions from your baked while helping yourself to some of the oil prepared in the previous procedure.
#2 Peanut Butter CBD Cookies
The ingredients you need for this recipe include banana, peanut butter, 2 cups of old-fashioned oats, and CBD oil.
- To prepare this recipe, first, preheat your oven to 325°F. In a blender, mix the 2 cups of the oats until you achieve a fine powder-like texture. Mash the ripe banana and mix it with peanut butter and your CBD coconut oil. Stir this mixture continuously until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Place the dough on a flat surface, knead it into circles, or use a cookie cutter to cut out treats for your dog.
- Introduce the cut treats into the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve your dogs the treat. Be sure not to make the treats too large, as this will likely prolong the heating time.
#3 The Easy Recipe
Here, all you need to do is drizzle the recipe on any food item your dog is eating – very simple! No need to knead or mix a dough, no heating, no cutting; only your preferred ready-made treat and the coconut oil treat.
You may also decide to skip the part of making the CBD oil. Buy from a store and save yourself the trouble of cooking the recipe.
Medical Marijuana Dog Treats; What You Need To Keep in Mind
- To avoid evaporating the cannabidiol, do not exceed 350°F while cooking. Your cooking temperature should be between 320°F to 350°F.
- Keep the oil in the dark place, away from the reach of sunlight.
- Always blend your oil CBD on low heat.
- You can add your preferred flavor to the CBD oils to get the best taste.
- The dosing of the treatment is essential. Even though the cannabidiol is not psychoactive, ensure you do not go beyond the recommended dosage.
How Can Your Dog Benefit from CBD Treats?
Here are some of the many benefits that your dog can enjoy by eating these treats
- Relief from pain
- It helps in alleviating anxiety in dogs
- Help with canine depression
- Reduces inflammation in diabetic pets
- It inhibits the sebaceous gland cells from secreting too much sebum, thereby promoting skin health
- It may help with managing digestive issues and blood disorders
Without a doubt, dogs can benefit from medical marijuana as much as humans can, but we need to take more care while administering CBD to dogs. If possible, be sure to speak with a vet expert that's experienced in administering cannabis to pets.