TABLE OF CONTENTS
If you're an aspiring cannabis grower or just want to optimize your lighting, check out our guide on the top 5 marijuana grow lights in the fluorescent, LED, and HID category. We cover the best lights for your plants for their vegetative and flowering periods. From the low-cost fluorescent to the energy-saving LED to the high-powered HID, our list gives you plenty of choices to achieve top shelf marijuana.
Marijuana Grow Light Types
Before we get into the specific brands and models of grow lights, let's consider the different light types available. Each light has its own pros and cons. Some may offer a lot of lighting power for big gardens while others may provide just enough light to get you started on your first garden.
You can find many marijuana grow lights on Amazon or purchase them directly from the manufacturer. You can find tons of cheap grow lights for cannabis and more expensive ones with better technology and lighting efficiency.
- LED Grow Lights: Light-emitting diode (LED) lights generate considerably less energy than other light sources. However, its energy-saving capabilities can be expensive for some budget growers. If you have the budget to splurge a bit, LED lights don't produce as much heat as other lights, thereby, avoiding overheating your garden. If you want a light with a long life-span, go with LED.
- HID Grow Lights: Hi-intensity discharge (HID) lights produce a considerable amount of lighting power compared to LEDs or fluorescent bulbs. Mainly used in large commercial grows, the intense light and heat from these bulbs require a full exhaust fan to keep temperatures stable. HID grow lights come in several varieties, each with a different color spectrum to cater to a specific stage of the growing process. Go with metal halide bulbs (MH) for the vegetative state or high-pressure sodium (HPS) for the flowering stage.
- Fluorescent Grow Lights: Most home growers will start off with the traditional fluorescent lights: the T5s or the CFLs. Fluorescent bulbs don't use a lot of electricity and tend to produce a low heat output, which may require you to place them close to your plants. Choose lights with cool, warm, or full-spectrum colors, depending on your stage of the growing process.
For more information about the different types of cannabis grow lights available, check out our blog post on the best grow lights for weed.
Best LED Marijuana Grow Lights
1. Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED Grow Light
Electric Sky’s top-selling LED grow light comes with the company's signature wideband LEDs. This full-spectrum lighting system provides deep canopy penetration. Even better, it runs cool and doesn't require a fan to remove the excess heat. Electric Sky’s unique linear lenses allow the light to reach the deepest corners of your garden compared to traditional circular lenses. While not the most budget-friendly, these lights may pay for themselves in the long run.
2. Advanced Platinum Series P450 450-Watt 12-Band LED Grow Light
Advanced Platinum is a newcomer to the lighting game but offers high-quality lights for a value price. Don't let its price fool you, these LED lights have the highest PAR/lumen output per watt of any grow light. They also have a wider light spectrum than most LED lights so you can keep growing during your vegetative and flowering stages. Whisper quiet fans and aluminum cooling keep your garden within optimal temperatures. Take advantage of their excellent customer service and a 5-year warranty on all lights.
3. Galaxyhydro 300-Watt LED Light
Galaxyhydro’s 300-watt LED light is great for beginners and experienced growers. At a relatively affordable price, you can grow with LED for maximum light coverage. While this light can be great for small gardens, you will need to upgrade as your garden size grows. Two high-speed cooling fans keep your temperatures in check. Its full-spectrum lighting allows you to get proper lighting during all stages. They've even added more red light to increase your yields by up to 50%. Enjoy their 24-month warranty to give you peace of mind.
4. VIPARSPECTRA 450-Watt LED Grow Light
ViparSpectra produces some of the most in-demand grow lights in the industry. At a reasonable price, you can get high-powered and highly efficient LED grow lights for your garden. Their lights are UL-certified meaning they have been tested for safe operation. Its full-spectrum lighting allows you to grow cannabis in all stages. Simply press a switch from your vegetative to your blooming stage and you are set. They offer a 3-year U.S. warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee. They also offer a dimmable version for a slightly higher price.
5. Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550 V2 R Spec
Horticulture Lighting Group has been an innovative force in the LED lighting space. They were the first to coin the term “quantum board” which features the diodes spread out over the board. The 550-watt version can be dimmed down to 200 watts for small and immature plants. Growers have noticed considerably high yields after switching to this brand. Their lights are ETL-certified to ensure safe operation. Their products come with a 3-year warranty.
Best HID Marijuana Grow Lights
1. iPower 600-Watt HPS Dimmable Grow Light
iPower is a recognized name in the cannabis cultivation industry. For more than a decade they've provided high-quality lights for gardens of all sizes. Their 600-watt HPS dimmable grow light system provides everything you need for your vegetating and flowering plants. Lights can be dimmed to 75% or 50% output. A 6-inch air-cooled hood reflector maximizes your light’s penetration without generating too much heat. The lights come with a 12-month warranty.
2. Mini Sunburst SBMM15OS HPS Lamp
Mini Sunburst offers a lightweight and compact HPS lamp that's easy to hang and runs very quietly. The kit comes with set up instructions, hangers, and 8-foot power cord, and a 150-watt high-intensity lamp. This light is great for small gardens, but you are going to need something bigger for anything larger.
3. VIVOSUN Hydroponic 600-Watt HPS MH Grow Light Air Cooled Reflector Kit
VIVOSUN Hydroponics lights offer remarkable quality and performance. The 600-watt grow light kit comes with an air-cooled reflector, a dimmable ballast, and a 24-hour mechanical timer. The timer allows you to change light cycles when needed. The lights boast a high PAR value and high lumen output to promote growth.
4. Sun System 150-Watt HPS Plug and Play
Sun Systems’ HPS 150-watt light system is lightweight and easy to set up. Its 16000 lumens simulate natural sunlight for optimum indoor growth. This light has a full-color spectrum so you can use it during your vegetative and blooming stages. Each product comes with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty on the fixture and a one-year warranty on the lamp. The light system comes with two hanging hooks so you can set it above your canopy as you please.
5. Yield Lab 600-Watt HPS and MH, Air Cooled Hood Kit
Yield Lab’s kit comes with a digital dimmable ballast, a 600-watt MH and HPS bulb, a hood reflector, light hangers, and an analog timer. All Yield Lab bulbs are UL and CE-certified for safe operation. The dimmable feature allows you to reduce lumen intensity as low as 50% for young plants. Yield Lab boasts a 3-year warranty on their air-cooled hugs and a one-year warranty on the MH and HPS bulbs.
Best Fluorescent Marijuana Grow Lights
1. Hydrofarm FLC125W Compact Warm Fluorescent Bulb
This compact fluorescent bulb produces a warm color, perfect for your flowering cannabis plants. This 125-watt full-spectrum bulb can be used horizontally or vertically within or outside the plant canopy. Enjoy a one-year warranty although most customers are satisfied with their purchase.
2. Hydrofarm FLCDG125D Fluorowing Compact Fluorescent System
If you're looking for a super budget CFL, check out this full daylight spectrum incandescent grow bulb. The 125-watt compact fluorescent grow bulb comes with a compact reflector to maximize the lighting of your small garden. While this bulb may not provide the best lighting, it is CSA-certified and comes with a one-year warranty.
3. Apollo Horticulture 250-Watt CFL Compact Fluorescent Grow Light Bulb System – 6400K
Apollo Horticulture 250 CFL bulb system comes with a standard reflector hood with a 13-foot power cord. The bulb offers 6400K of warm and inviting light. You can change the lamp to a 2700K one during the flowering stage. Apollo Horticulture offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Durolux T5 Grow Light DI844S Ho Fluorescent Hydroponic Fixture
Durolux’s high light output bulb produces 20000 lumens and has a German hammer-tone reflector to provide 30% more light output compared to its competitors. Durolux provides all the accessories you need including 4-foot lamps, hanging hooks, chains, and an 8-foot power cord. This bulb offers a flexible light output with two switches to allow for dimming the lights. Finally, the system has an AAG Stucchi lamp holder to prevent fires if the tubes come loose.
5. EnviroGro FLT24 T5 Bulbs
In terms of T5 bulbs, you can't get any better than these premium T5 lights. Choose between 2-foot or 4-foot light options for your garden. EnviroGro gives you the option of having 2, 4, or 8 tubes within your system. Their plug-and-play operation allows for easy setup so you can hang your bulbs horizontally or vertically. The 10-foot grounded power cord gives you the reach you need. The powder-coated steel housing protects your T5 bulbs from damage.
Online Cannabis Training
Having trouble getting started with your garden or need a refresher of the most up-to-date cultivation techniques and lighting options? Enroll in CTU’s marijuana growing classes online for a comprehensive education. Learn the fundamentals of cultivation and the advanced techniques used by the best growers in the world. Beat the learning curve with CTU.