TABLE OF CONTENTS
As one of the largest cannabis markets in the world, Colorado has a wide range of entry-level, mid-level, and senior-level job opportunities in the cannabis industry. If you are interested in joining the Centennial State’s cannabis workforce, here are the best marijuana jobs in Colorado right now.
Cannabis Job Market in Colorado
In terms of revenue and job count, Colorado is the second-largest cannabis market in the country, just behind California. Marijuana jobs in Colorado are booming. In 2020, consumers bought $2.28 billion dollars worth of cannabis products, a 29% increase from the previous year. In addition, the state added 4,338 full-time marijuana industry jobs, for a grand total of 35,539 jobs in the state.
Marijuana job opportunities in Colorado keep growing every year. Now is the time to break into this fast-growing industry. You have a wide range of positions to choose from in cannabis such as medical marijuana dispensary jobs, recreational pot dispensary jobs, cannabis cultivation jobs, and so much more.
Requirements Needed to Work for Marijuana Jobs in Colorado
Do you need a license to work at a dispensary in Colorado? Yes. Can you work at a dispensary at 18? No. Employees in Colorado marijuana companies must meet the following legal requirements:
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must pass a background check with no disqualifying offenses
- Must pay a $100 fee to obtain a Marijuana Enforcement Division (MED) badge
Cannabis Dispensary Jobs in Colorado
Cannabis retailers sell a wide range of cannabis products to medical and recreational consumers.
Popular cannabis dispensary jobs in Colorado include:
- Budtender: A budtender is a friendly and knowledgeable salesperson at dispensaries who answer customer questions, offers recommendations, assists with inventory management, and performs sales transactions.
- Receptionist: At the front of the store, a receptionist is responsible for welcoming guests, checking their IDs, answering phone calls and emails, and performs other clerical duties.
- Dispensary manager: A dispensary manager is responsible for leading a team of dispensary employees, improving dispensary performance, and ensuring the dispensary remains in compliance with state and local regulations.
Cannabis Cultivation Jobs in Colorado
Cannabis cultivators operate indoor and outdoor facilities where they grow a variety of cannabis strains.
The best cannabis cultivation jobs in Colorado include:
- Trimmer: A bud trimmer is responsible for harvesting mature cannabis plants and performing tasks such as cutting plants, removing leaves, disposing of plant waste, weighing the material, and packaging products for sale.
- Grower’s assistant: A grower’s assistant performs a variety of tasks including watering, pruning, pest control, feeding, preparing the grow medium, and other day-to-day cultivation activities.
- Master grower: A master grower is responsible for running the day-to-day operations of a cultivation facility. Head growlers oversee all aspects of the plant production process from planting to harvest.
Cannabis Manufacturing Jobs in Colorado
Cannabis processors convert flower buds, trim, and concentrates into a wide range of derivatives such as edibles, topicals, and extracts.
The best cannabis processing jobs in Colorado include:
- Packager: A cannabis packager must accurately weigh and package a cannabis product for sale. Packagers must also assist with deliveries and inventory management.
- Edibles chef: A cannabis edibles chef prepares and cooks a variety of infused products ranging from baked goods to savory treats. An edibles chef must know how to use commercial kitchen equipment.
- Kitchen assistant: A kitchen assistant is responsible for preparing ingredients and equipment, assisting with the cooking process, and maintaining the kitchen clean and organized.
- Quality control specialist: A quality control specialist must oversee the quality of production and products and ensure that the production process remains state compliant with production regulations.
Cannabis Ancillary Jobs in Colorado
Cannabis ancillary jobs do not directly work with cannabis but provide services such as accounting, marketing, and legal services to cannabis companies. Some of the most lucrative and exciting ancillary job opportunities include the following:
- Marketing/PR professional
- Real estate agent
- Website developer
- Security guard
- Delivery driver
Get Industry Certified at Cannabis Training University
Colorado's medical and recreational cannabis market is thriving. If you want to learn how to work at a dispensary, cultivation facility, or processing center, enrollment in Cannabis Training University can help. CTU provides students of all skill levels with a complete cannabis curriculum covering all of the most important aspects of the industry.
Lesson in our Cannabis Business Training topics include:
- How to get a job at a dispensary
- How to gain cannabis industry experience
- How to write a resume
- How to write a cover letter
- How to prepare for the interview
No matter what segment of the industry you are looking to enter, our online-based training programs can prepare you to work in the industry.