TABLE OF CONTENTS
Whether you're a cannabis enthusiast or an aspiring cannabis business owner, this guide is a must-read for anyone interested in the fascinating world of cannabis in Maine. Here, we cover everything you need to know about Maine’s cannabis laws.
Is Cannabis Legal in Maine?
Yes, cannabis is legal in Maine for both medical and recreational use. Adults 21 years or older can possess, use, and grow cannabis. Medical cannabis has been legal in the state since 1999. Patients with qualifying conditions, such as chronic pain, can access cannabis through a licensed dispensary or grow their own plants.
History of Cannabis Legalization in Maine
Maine has had a long and complicated relationship with cannabis. In the 1970s, the state decriminalized the possession of small amounts of cannabis, becoming one of the first states to decriminalize the drug.
However, it was not until 1999 that the state legalized cannabis for medical use. In November 2016, voters approved Question 1, legalizing recreational cannabis use, but sales didn’t start until the fall of 2020.
Medical and Recreational Cannabis Laws in Maine
Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), cachexia or wasting syndrome, cancer, chronic pain, Crohn’s disease, epilepsy, glaucoma, hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS, Huntington’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, nausea, nail-patella syndrome, Parkinson’s disease, PTSD, any condition not listed that is approved by a physician.
- No fee
- Must be 18 years of age or older; minor patients must meet additional requirements
- Patient status filled by a physician
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Fee depends on services performed
- Background check and no excluding offense
- Copy of food establishment/processing license, if applicable
- Completed application with all related forms and requirements
- Medical: Up to 8 pounds of harvested cannabis and furnish up to 2.5 ounces to a qualified patient; up to 2.5 ounces of concentrates
- Recreational: Up to 2.5 ounces of flower or no more than 5 grams of concentrate
- Medical: From caregiver to patient and at retail outlets
- Recreational: Can give away up to 2.5 ounces of flower, 5 grams of concentrate, or 6 mature plants and purchase at retail outlets
- Patients: Up to 6 mature and 12 immature plants
- Caregivers: Up to 30 mature and 60 immature plants
- Recreational: Up to 3 mature and 12 immature plants and unlimited seedlings
- Annual cultivation fee ($240 per 6 mature and 12 immature plants) required if growing more than 6 plants
- Public consumption: Civil fine
- Driving under the influence: DUI
- Possession of 2.5 to 8 ounces of flower: Misdemeanor
- Possession of more than 8 ounces of flower or 5 grams of concentrate: Felony
- Sale or distribution of up to 1 pound: Misdemeanor
- Sale or distribution of over 1 pound: Felony
- Cultivation of up to 100 plants: Misdemeanor
How Do I Become a Medical Cannabis Patient?
To be eligible for the medical program, patients must have a qualifying medical condition and receive written certification from a healthcare provider licensed to practice medicine in Maine. With the certification, you can legally access medical cannabis from a licensed dispensary. Medical cannabis cards are available to residents only but not required.
Where Can I Consume Cannabis in Maine?
In Maine, cannabis can be consumed in a private residence. It is illegal to consume cannabis in public places, such as parks, streets, and restaurants, and doing so can result in fines or other legal consequences. Landlords and rental companies can restrict the use and possession of cannabis on their property.
Does Maine Accept Out-of-State Medical Cards?
Yes, Maine accepts certain out-of-state medical cards to purchase medical cannabis. Patients with qualifying conditions must be a resident of the state and have a valid registry identification card to access medical cannabis through a licensed dispensary.
Learn how to cash in on the Green Rush!
Cannabis Business Laws in Maine
- Medical: Required
- Recreational: Optional
- Medical: No applications currently being accepted
- Recreational: Applications available
- Medical: N/A
- Medical: N/A
Inventory Tracking System: Metrc
There are over 300,000 jobs in the cannabis industry. CTU trained me for one of them!
- Johanna Rose
Makes $24.50 @ THC +
Stay In the Know with Cannabis Training University
Stay informed and up-to-date on the latest developments in the cannabis industry by enrolling at CTU. Our comprehensive curriculum provides you accurate, reliable information on all aspects of cannabis laws and use, from medical cannabis to recreational cannabis.
Whether you're a patient, a consumer, or simply interested in the future of this rapidly growing industry, CTU has the information you need to stay informed and engaged. Join us today and stay in the know with CTU!