TABLE OF CONTENTS
If you're interested in getting a job in the second largest city in Oklahoma, check out our guide on how to get a dispensary job in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Getting a cannabis job in one of the most populous cities in the country is easier than ever. As a medical cannabis hub in the state, Tulsa is ripe with opportunities to work in the industry.
Tulsa, Oklahoma Dispensary Jobs
Oklahoma’s medical cannabis industry is booming, to say the least. The state’s relaxed medical cannabis laws has created the perfect environment for business and employment growth. Tulsa is one of the hot spots you should look at if you want a dispensary job in the state.
As a budtender in a medical cannabis dispensary, it's up to you to help patients understand the power of the plant. You'll be tasked with providing recommendations of strains, products, and delivery methods. Prior cash handling and customer service experience is preferred.
Average salary: About $11/hour
Receptionists are at the front of the store welcoming guests and checking in new patients. As a receptionist, you must check to see if patients have their IDs and documentation needed to enter the shop. You'll answer phones, emails, and perform general administrative support.
Average salary: About $12/hour
Armed with a vest and a handgun, security guards are responsible for protecting dispensary staff, customers, and the inventory. As a security officer, you'll be constantly vigilant of suspicious activity. You'll also interact with customers and make sure everything runs smoothly.
Average salary: About $13/hour
Dispensary managers run the day-to-day operations. They must hire, train, and pay employees to perform exceptionally and remain compliant with state rules. Managers must ensure everyone follows company policies and inspire employees to give it their all.
Average salary: About $33k/year
Minimum Age Requirement
If you want to work in a Tulsa dispensary, you must be over the age of 21. Any cannabis industry employee in the state must meet the minimum age requirement to work. While Oklahoma residents over 18 and minors with parental guidance can use medical cannabis, patients aged 20 and under are not allowed to work in the industry.
The state of Oklahoma does not have any legal requirements to work in the cannabis industry. Background screenings are not required for employees. As long as you meet the minimum age requirement and have the right qualifications, you have a good chance of getting hired.
Job qualifications vary by dispensary location and the type of job you're applying for. For entry-level work in Tulsa dispensaries, these are some of the most common job qualifications hiring managers look for:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Criminal background check (preferred)
- Cannabis industry experience (preferred)
How to Get a Dispensary Job in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Tulsa, Oklahoma is a bustling cannabis hub. In this competitive atmosphere, you must be keenly aware of the state’s unique cannabis program. Check out our list of tips for a better chance of getting hired.
- Read Up: Before applying, learn as much as you can about your state and local laws. Dispensaries are looking for applicants who have previous work experience in a similar position, but also understand how cannabis and the industry works.
- Enroll in a Cannabis College: For an easy and affordable way to beef up your cannabis knowledge, enroll in a cannabis college. Online training allows you to learn on-the-go as long as you have an internet connection.
- Hone Your Skills: Develop your work experience by working as a salesperson, receptionist, or security officer in a non cannabis-related field. The skills you learn in these jobs can easily transfer to work in a dispensary.
- Create a Resume: Once you develop your skills, you can craft a resume that showcases why you are the best for the job. Add a cover letter and you are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.
- Pound the Pavement: Visit stores and ask them if they are hiring. Attend local events to find passionate and like-minded people. You may run into employees or business owners themselves who are looking to hire.
- Apply: Last but not least, apply consistently and tailor your cover letter to each dispensary. Do research on dispensaries and ensure you meet the qualifications. Don’t forget to follow-up if you haven't’ heard back after a week.
What Are the Best Dispensaries in Tulsa, Oklahoma?
Oklahoma’s dispensary count is one of the highest. In fact, the state has the second-highest number of cannabis dispensaries per capita. According to a study by Verilife,Tulsa ranked 17th highest out of all the cities in the country with about 10 dispensaries per 50,000 people. As of November 2019, Tulsa had 263 dispensaries, almost as many churches in the area.
Here are some of the most popular dispensaries in Tulsa:
- Seed Cannabis Co.
- MJ’s Apothecary
- Aromatics Rx
- Robot Pharmer Gardens
- Oklahoma Home Grown
- Re-Up Cannabis Dispensary
- Okie Wonderland
- Mango Cannabis
- The Dankery Dispensary
- Crown Cannabis
- Z Leaf
- The Fire Station 420
- Top Shelf Stock
Tulsa, Oklahoma Dispensary Training
Are you ready to join the cannabis workforce in the Sooner State?
Enroll in Cannabis Training University’s online cannabis college for a comprehensive education on the industry. Gain a deeper understanding of how the industry operates and where you can excel in. Learn how to open a dispensary, how to become a budtender, how to grow cannabis from start to finish and more. Strike while the iron is hot and join the industry as it grows to epic proportions.