TABLE OF CONTENTS
We have created a some tips to aid you in learning how to make cannabis infused milk that you can then use to make a chocolate cake. If you have ever baked with cannabis before, this recipe will help you take your skills higher. You can use our canna-milk recipe in any ingredient that calls for milk. What happens if the recipe doesn’t include milk? No worries, you can use our canna butter recipe instead.
We prefer to infuse milk because it is a versatile base and is relatively easy to infuse. Milk is a common ingredient in many recipes and it offers several nutritional benefits. You can also infuse your sugar, flour, or fat/oil.
Steps to Making the Best Infused Canna-Milk
1. Pick the right strain
Ask yourself what you want to achieve with your infusion. Are you a medicinal user or a recreational user of cannabis?
Different strains of marijuana offer different benefits. First, you can choose between a sativa and indica strain. Sativas are known to cause a strong cerebral buzz while indicas will cause a strong body stone. If you are looking to entertain your friends and simply have a good time together then you should try some sativa buds. If you want to have chilled-out lazy afternoon then you should probably go for an indica like Purple Kush. Thankfully it is the 21st century and you can easily lay your hands on a hybrid strain that blends indica and sativa characteristics.
Another thing to consider is the concentration of cannabinoids such as THC and CBD. If you are looking for some sort of euphoria with this infusion it is advisable to go for a strain that is high in THC. This is the cannabinoid that is responsible for the typical marijuana high. For example, Biscotti marijuana strain is terpene rich and has about 14% THC. This is sufficient enough to get you intoxicated, depending on your unique characteristics and how much you consume. CBD loaded strains have a myriad of benefits as well, starting with anxiety- relief.
2. Decarboxylate the marijuana
This is a critical step that will ensure that the THC or CBD are “brought to life.” Decarboxylation or decarbing is the process of converting cannabinoids from their inactive (acidic) forms to their active forms. If marijuana is not taken through this process the cannabinoids will be flat. This means that you will not enjoy the effects that are usually caused by the cannabinoids.
Decarboxylation is done by subjecting the cannabis buds to heat. The buds undergo a chemical reaction where a carboxyl group (acidic) is removed from the cannabinoids. For example THCA is converted to THC while CBDA is converted to CBDA.
How to Decarboxylate Marijuana
- Preheat your oven to 245 degrees Fahrenheit
- Break the buds into small particles (do not grind to a powder)
- Place the marijuana particles in the oven tray and put in the oven for 30-40 minutes
- Keep checking the tray to ensure that the heat is spread evenly
- Remove from heat when the buds are brownish in color but not burnt
Once you have your decarboxylated marijuana buds you will be ready for the next step which is to prepare the canna-milk that you will use in your infused treats.
3. Make Cannabis Infused Milk
Cannabinoids are lipophilic (fat-loving). This means that they will require lipids to bind to. Therefore you will require full-fat milk for this recipe. The higher the fat the better for you.
What you will need:
- 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk or Coconut Milk
- 2 grams of decarboxylated marijuana
- Mixing spoon
- Mason jar for storage
- Grind the marijuana to a fine powder
- Add the marijuana to the milk and heat on low heat without boiling
- Stir the milk & marijuana mixture frequently to prevent scorching
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. This allows the cannabinoids to bind to the lipids in the milk
- Strain using a cheesecloth but do not squeeze the cheesecloth
- Collect the strained liquid and store in the Mason jar away from direct sunlight. Remember to label the container.
Now you have your canna-milk ready to get baking!
4. Bake Marijuana-Infused Chocolate Cake
What you will need:
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- 5 Cups Baking Flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Cannabis Infused Milk
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 2 Eggs
- 2 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease your baking tray and dust with flour or cocoa powder
- In a bowl, sift the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar on medium speed until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the cannabis infused milk and hot water as you beat on medium speed
- Ensure the batter is evenly mixed and pour into the baking tray
- Put in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. To trick to tell when its ready is to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and pull it out. If it comes out clean the cake is fully baked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. You can apply your favorite frosting if you so wish
How to Calculate the Potency of Cannabis Edibles
This final note is an all-too-important one; you do not want to overwhelm your guest with too much THC. So how do you tell how much THC is in each bite of your baked treat?
Generally speaking, calculating the potency of cannabis edibles is a tricky affair. However, you can always use a rough estimate.
For this canna-milk recipe you will have 2 grams of marijuana in 2 liters of milk.
If your baking recipe requires one liter of milk you will be having 1 gram of marijuana. Find out how much THC is contained in each gram of cannabis and divide this by the number of servings in the recipe. It is as simple as that.
Now you have learned how to bake with marijuana infused milk, you should be able to entertain your guests (or yourself) like a master chef at work. Grow you knowledge of cooking with marijuana and get certified by enrolling in the world’s leading online cannabis college.