TABLE OF CONTENTS
In the state capital of the world's biggest cannabis market, cannabis is a growing business. Sacramento, CA is primarily known for government and real estate-related industries but it also has thriving health care, clean technology, agriculture, and education industries.
Cannabis is quickly becoming another key industry in Sacramento, CA. Sacramento is creating a fertile environment for growth and expansion in this industry. Find out the best cannabis jobs Sacramento has to offer today.
Cannabis Jobs Sacramento, CA: Cannabis Job Market
Sacramento, CA has a thriving medical and recreational cannabis market. The city allows dispensaries, cultivation, testing, distribution, non-volatile and volatile manufacturing, and microbusinesses in certain zones within the city.
Currently, there are 30 dispensaries in the city of Sacramento, CA. The city's Cannabis Opportunity Reinvestment and Equity (CORE) program has awarded 10 additional licenses for qualified social equity applicants.
In Feb 2020, the Sacramento City Council adopted an ordinance allowing the use of volatile solvents like light hydrocarbons in cannabis manufacturing. The move aims to “strengthen their position to compete with other brands that are manufactured elsewhere.”
Cannabis Jobs in Sacramento, CA
Sacramento, CA has a wide range of cannabis industry jobs for entry-level and manager-level employees.
- Budtender: Budtenders are knowledgeable salespeople who provide product recommendations, answer questions about strains, products, and consumption methods, and complete customer transactions.
- Receptionist: Front desk attendants greet guests, check their documentation, and perform other administrative duties.
- Security guard: Security guards check for IDs, monitor for suspicious activity, and protect the staff, customers, and inventory.
- Delivery driver: Delivery drivers distribute cannabis products to a customer's home. Drivers must have a clean driving record and excellent customer service skills.
- Dispensary manager: Dispensary managers oversee all aspects of the retail storefront including hiring and training staff, managing payroll, inventory management, and meeting sales goals.
- Packager: Packagers must handle raw cannabis material such as flower, extracts, and other products and prepare them for sale by weighing, labeling, and packaging them.
- Extraction technician: An extraction technician can use solventless or solvent-based methods to create extracts, edibles, and other cannabis products. Technicians may work with volatile solvents. Previous experience working in a lab and a related science degree is preferred.
- Trimmer: Using sharp scissors, a trimmer harvests mature plants and packages them for sale in a fast and efficient manner.
- Cultivation assistant: A cultivation assistant is responsible for a variety of plant care activities including transplanting, feeding, watering, pest control, defoliation, and harvesting.
- Head grower: A head grower oversees a commercial cultivation facility and is responsible for producing a healthy crop, breeding new strains, and troubleshooting cultivation issues such as pest infestation and equipment failure.
How to Get A Cannabis Job in Sacramento, CA
Sacramento, CA has a wide range of cannabis jobs for job candidates with any experience level. If you are interested in working directly with the cannabis plant in Sacramento, CA, here is how you can start your cannabis career.
Earn Experience and Education
Even if you have no experience or cannabis education, you can find work in this industry. However, gaining some relevant skills in a similar industry can improve your chances of getting hired. Apply for work in jobs that require the same skills as a cannabis job but outside of the cannabis industry at first.
If you want to gain industry experience, consider volunteering at local cannabis nonprofit organizations. You can gain direct industry experience while working towards cannabis reform across the country.
Cannabis industry training can provide job candidates with a comprehensive curriculum on the industry and their desired position. Getting certified from a reputable training institute provides students with a better chance of getting hired.
If you have the right experience and education, start looking for work on major job boards such as Indeed, Monster, Craigslist, and Simply Hired. Look for work on cannabis-specific job boards such as Ganjapreneur and 420Careers. Subscribe for job alerts to receive an email job alert when cannabis jobs in Sacramento open up.
Cannabis jobs can also be advertised directly on a company's social media profile. Feel free to send out a brief and informative message on their social media profiles or email them directly to inquire about any job openings in the company.
Attending local and national industry events can help applicants connect with business leaders in the industry.
Create a Resume and Cover Letter
A strong resume and cover letter can make or break an application. One page for each should be enough. Check for spelling and grammar mistakes. A resume describes your work history, skills, education, and other experience related to the job. A cover letter fills in any details about your resume and allows you to explain why you are the best person for the job.
Apply as soon as the job ad is posted. Once you get the job alert, apply immediately and use language used in the job ad to show that you paid attention and have the relevant skills.
Get the Interview
If you get the interview, come dressed nicely and arrive early. Practice common job interview questions alone or with a friend. Come up with a few questions beforehand for the interviewer and practice having open and confident body language.
Start Your Dream Career
It is that easy. You can get one of many cannabis jobs in Sacramento, CA and start working in this fast-growing industry. Whether you want to work in sales, as a lab technician, in marketing, in packaging, in a greenhouse nursery, Sacramento, CA has a promising future in cannabis.
Cannabis Training University: Online Industry Job Training
Cannabis Training University provides Sacramento students with a complete curriculum covering state cannabis laws, cannabis medicine, cannabis extraction, cannabis cooking, cannabis cultivation, cannabis careers, and cannabis business. Land the job of your dreams with legacy education from the number one cannabis school, CTU.